One of the best things about living in New York (for me) is the bakeries that are devoted solely to my pride and joy: sweets and desserts. The song “I would Walk 500 miles” could be my theme song when it comes to desserts. I go out of my way all the time to pop into a new bakery and check out the scene/glass cases full of sugar. Some people have an eye for style, I have an eye for what a good piece of cake, cookie or pie will be, and if it’s not up to par I will sadly walk out empty handed. Ridiculous, I know but it’s true. Here is a list of some of my favorite places to get desserts on a grab and go basis:
- Rocco’s (West Village)– I love the M&M cookie and the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie. The Snicker’s Pie and Mixed Berry Tart are also amazing if you want to sit down (1st pic).
- Levain Bakery (UWS)– Everyone knows I love their Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you’ve ever asked me “what is Levain” after my reaction you’ll never forget, and after you try it, you’ll never be the same. These bull dozers are amazing cookies and a lot to handle (2nd pic).
- Two Little Red Hens (UES)– They have the best vanilla, vanilla cupcakes. This shop is in the UES and so adorable. The Blackout Chocolate Cake is decadent. They also have all kinds of bars, cookies and cheesecake.
- Sugar Sweet Sunshine (LES)- Yes, they have colorful cupcakes but I come here for the puddings. The trifle pumpkin pudding is amazing in the fall and available year round. The chocolate chip cookie trifle is also good but the pumpkin is the winner.
- Sugar and Plumm (UWS + West Village) – This chocolate chip cookie is probably just as good as Levain and without nuts. The two different chocolate chunks really stand out and it’s addicting. I also like the Creme Brûlée cookie and Almond Croissant.
- Elenis (Chelsea) – This nut free bakery in Chelsea Market is extremely overpriced but the place looks like a fairy tail. I’m not a fan of crunchy cookies usually, but there is something about their butterscotch cookies that are flat, crunchy disks that get me. They are also a small snack size compared to the others mentioned.
- Momofuku Milk Bar (East Village, Williamsburg and Midtown)– I love the candy bar pie with peanut butter and chocolate as well as the Compost Cookie and Confetti Cake cookie which tastes like funfetti cake. Karlie Kloss’ Perfect 10 Cookie which benefits Lauren Bush’s FEED charity and is vegan, dairy free and tastes very nutty and coconuty.
- Bread’s Bakery (Union Square)– Chocolate Babka from an Israeli recipe? I’ll take it.
- Little Cupcake Bakeshop (Nolita)– Slices of cake may be huge, but they are still good. Cupcakes are a second runner up from Two Little Red Hens’ (4th pic).
- Doughboy Bake Shop (West Village)– Brownie or peanut butter bundt cake.
- Billy’s Bakery (Tribeca and Chelsea)– I like their birthday cakes better than their cupcakes, so order one of these next time. Their Hello Dolly’s are the best thing there though with chocolate and butterscotch chips, graham cracker bottom.
- Village Yogurt (Chelsea)– This random store in Chelsea has fruits, juices, dumplings and healthy lunch combos like dumplings, chicken, veggies and brown rice. I love their BMW bar which is actually gluten-free, sugar free and vegan. It’s very soft and has walnuts, apple sauce, apple juice, cinnamon and raisins. This is delicious for something fruity and not too sweet.
- Insomnia Cookies (West Village, Midtown, Murray Hill) – Get the brownie with cookie dough topping, no doubt.
- Penelope (Murray Hill) – Peanut Butter Blondie with Heath Bar Crunch (3rd pic).
- Roxy’s Delicatessen (Times Square) – M&M Cookie and Half dipped Chocolate Chip Cookie. You must ask them to heat it up or it’s not good ( 2nd pic below).
Sweet Loren’s is also another amazing brownie and cookie company. There is no standing store but you can buy the dough in the frozen section at any Whole Foods in the tristate area or Fresh Direct and make a whole tray of incredible gooey brownies and normal sized cookies. All of the ingredients are all natural, whole-grain and dairy free. Healthy options alert! (1st pic below)