New Yorkers have so much pride and defense over their favorite hamburgers. Everyone has an opinion about where the best burger is and people venture out to restaurants specifically to try this one dish that others have raved about. While it’s hard for most to pick one, for me it’s 100% obvious and clear. I have never had a better burger than at Minetta Tavern. Oh, how obvious I picked the Black Label Burger you think? Wrongo. I’m obsessed with the regular Minetta Burger with cheddar cheese and caramelized onions. I mean nothing beats the combination of a rare burger with caramelized onions. That’s my style and I’m sure you all have your own… Here is my list of Best Burgers in NYC. A few are obvious and a few are unknown.
- Minetta Tavern (West Village at MacDougal and Minetta): Minetta Burger with Cheddar and Caramelized Onions AND Black Label Burger with Prime Dry-Aged Beef Cuts, Caramelized Onions. (1st and 2nd pics).
- Paul’s Da Burger Joint (East Village at St. Marks and 2nd Ave.): Any burger- don’t be fooled by the tacky big burger statue out front- it’s legit.
- Burger and Barrel (SoHo at Mercer and Houston): Bison Sliders with Cheddar and Special Sauce
- Corner Bistro (West Village at West 4th and Jane St): Any burger
- The Dutch (SoHo at Sullivan and Prince ): Dry-Aged Burger, Cheddar, Orwasher’s Bun, Secret Sauce
- August (West Village at Bleecker and Charles): August Burger with Cheddar, Bacon, Pickles and Fries (only served at Brunch)
- Dinner on Ludlow (Lower East Side at Delancey and Ludlow): Burger with fresh ground Short Rib, Brisket and Chuck, Housemade Potato Roll, White Cheddar, Smoked Tomato Relish, Red Chili Aioli
- Shake Shack (Several locations but Madison Square Park is original): ShackBurger with Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato and Special Sauce
- The Spotted Pig (West Village at 11th and Greenwich St): Chargrilled Burger with Roquefort and Shoestring Fries
- Bill’s Bar & Burger (Meatpacking at 13th St and 9th Ave): Fat Cat Burger with Caramelized Onions, American Cheese on an English Muffin
- Landmarc (TriBeCa at West Broadway and Leonard): Hamburger
*Side Note: I have not been to P.J. Clarke’s actual restaurant but at the Montauk SuperBurger event this summer, it was the best. Here is Eater’s list of 15 Epic Burgers to Eat Before You Die. Also, if you are ever in Austin, Texas, Hopdoddy’s has the second best burger I’ve ever had. Def get the LLano Poblano with Bison.