We now live in a world where everyday is another national food holiday. Who knew today was National Raspberry Tart Day? However, I think it’s safe to say that Cinco de Mayo is everyone’s favorite food holiday because it’s when no one thinks twice about downing margaritas, chips & guac, and of course, tacos. While it always felt like Cinco de Mayo growing up in Texas, here are the top places to celebrate here in New York City this Thursday! By the way, when someone asks you what you are celebrating, Cinco de Mayo was when the Mexican Army beat the French at the Battles of Puebla- not Mexico’s Independence Day.
SPECIAL CINCO PARTIES:
- Horchata (East Village)- When you can get 5 snacks (taco, quesadilla) for $5 and 5 drinks for $5 why would you go anywhere else?
- Rosarito’s Fish Shack (Williamsburg)- One of the most under rated restaurants in New York. $6 Margaritas, $5 Tecate, and $4 Tequila Shots beginning at 5 p.m. (DJ included).
FOR THE DRINKS:
- Chavela’s (Crown Heights)- Extremely affordable Mexican food and my favorite tequila drink in town: Don Pepino with Reposado, Cucumber, Cilantro and Tajin.
- Fonda (Chelsea, Park Slope, EV) – The largest serving of guac around + sangria.
FOR THE SCENE:
- Tijuana Picnic (Lower East Side)- When a restaurant has trendy bar below with agave focused spirits, you’re going to have a night. Start off with ceviche, tacos, and duck empanadas.
- Bodega Negra (Meatpacking)- Amazing corn, better plantains, and an upscale atmosphere.
FOR HOUSE PARTIES:
- Tres Carnes (anywhere!)- Didn’t get a reservation anywhere or rather bring su amigos to su casa to relax and chill? Good thing Tres Carnes is offering FREE Bud Light Lime for every person when you partake in their catering package here.
- Choza Taqueria (anywhere!)- Free chips and guac always sounds nice right? Order Choza on UberEats today and receive these guys- how kind!
FOR THE FOOD:
- Javelina (Flatiron)– Real Tex-Mex at your service. I love their enchiladas and quesadillas.
- Empellon Al Pastor (East Village)- No reservations allowed so it’s easy to roll up order some short rib tacos and margs and snag a table. The bar atmosphere is perfect for a busy night like Cinco de Mayo.
FOR WORK RELATED CELEBRATIONS:
- Taqueria Diana (Chelsea or EV)- Why start after work? Grab a tray of the best nachos and your co-workers will love you. Get the pulled chicken ones.
- Cafe El Presidente (Flatiron)- A great spot to venture to with co-workers if you need last minute plans as it’s pretty large, and the tacos are great.